Skip links

Finnish VAT – Rates & Registration

If a company not established in Finland is providing ‘taxable supplies’ of goods or services in Finland, it may have to obtain a non-resident VAT registration. In accordance with the EU VAT Directive, foreign traders are legally obligated to register for VAT in certain circumstances in order to report taxable transactions and declare VAT that must be charged.

It is important that all businesses with any commercial activity in Finland assess their compliance obligations and register prior to commencing taxable transactions if applicable.

What you need to know

There are various scenarios that would trigger an obligation to register for VAT in Finland. Some of the most common examples are:

  • Importing goods into Finland from outside the European Union
  • Buying and selling goods in Finland
  • Selling goods from Finland which are delivered to customers outside of Finland (business or private customers)
  • Acquiring goods in Finland from another EU country (Intra-community acquisitions)
  • Holding inventory in Finland for sale, distribution or consignment
  • E-commerce sales of goods to consumers, subject to Distance Selling VAT registration thresholds
  • Organising events in Finland where attendees or delegates must pay admission

If you are currently, or plan to conduct any of the above (or similar) transactions in Finland, you should contact us immediately for a complimentary consultation.

Finnish VAT Rates, Formats & Thresholds

VAT Rates VAT Number Format Distance Selling Threshold Intrastat Threshold
24% (Standard) FI12345678 € 35,000 € 600,000 (Arrivals)
10/14% (Reduced) € 600,000 (Dispatches)
VAT return periods


Quarterly if annual turnover is between €25,000 and €50,000

Annually if annual turnover is below €25,000

Annual returns


EC Sales Lists frequency


EC purchase lists


Other reporting requirements


Extended reverse charge

The reverse charge applies to supplies made by a non-established business to a VAT registered business in Finland. The extended reverse charge applies to certain domestic transactions such as construction services and sales of emission rights. Please contact us if you would like details of how the extended reverse charge works in Finland.

Fiscal Representation

A business established in a country outside the EU must appoint a tax representative to register for VAT in Finland if it is registering voluntarily. If the non-established business is required to be registered then the appointment of a tax representative is not compulsory.

Contact us for a complimentary consultation.

Get a quote